WebKit For Dummies
Get up to speed on the engine that powers Safari and Google ChromeWhat do the web browsers on iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Kindle, and Nokia have in common with Google Chrome and Apple Safari? WebKit powers them all. This guide shows you how to create web sites and mobile web apps using WebKit. Learn to use all the developer tools, the latest web standards, and WebKit’s unique styles and functions to create appealing, interactive sites for mobile and desktop display.
Explores how WebKit supports HTML5 and CSS3, providing a large toolkit for creating faster and better mobile web sites
- Explains how to create web pages for both mobile and desktop display using WebKit
- Covers acquiring and installing the developer tools, building web pages, debugging and deploying them, and taking advantage of WebKit functions to create faster, more appealing, and more interactive sites
With mobile devices proliferating at a rapid rate, there’s never been a better time to learn all about the engine that powers the leading mobile browser. WebKit For Dummies teaches you to create web pages that make the most of everything WebKit has to offer.
From the Back Cover
WebKit is the key to creating mobile apps that run on all devices — learn to use it now!
What do Android phones, iPhones, iPads, BlackBerry devices, Kindles, and most other mobile devices have in common? They all have web browsers powered by WebKit, the de facto cross-platform mobile app standard. Whether you’re a business owner seeking to go mobile or a developer wanting to create dynamite mobile apps, this book will help you get there!
- The big picture — get an overview of mobile web app design and the browser engine that makes it possible
- Create your first app — develop several web apps from scratch, learn about mobile app testing, and use real-world tools and techniques such as jQuery Mobile and Mobile Boilerplate
- Optimizing secrets — find out how to optimize your apps for performance and for iOS, Android, BlackBerry, and webOS
- Get more advanced — explore how to use PhoneGap to convert apps from web to native, add advanced graphics and animation, maximize your use of phone features, and beef up your apps
Open the book and find:
- Some background on how browsers work
- The difference between web apps and native apps
- Useful keyboard and menu shortcuts
- How to make WebKit your default browser
- Design tips for mobile apps
- Tips on maximizing touch events
- Online performance testing tools
- Acquire, install, and use the latest version of WebKit
- Optimize your apps for iPhone®, iPad®, Android, Blackberry®, Safari®, and Chrome
- Use WebKit’s cutting-edge features and functions
- Paperback: 408 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies (February 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 111812720X
- ISBN-13: 978-1118127209