VMware vSphere Design, 2nd Edition
Achieve the performance, scalability, and ROI your business needs
What can you do at the start of a virtualization deployment to make things run more smoothly? If you plan, deploy, maintain, and optimize vSphere solutions in your company, this unique book provides keen insight and solutions. From hardware selection, network layout, and security considerations to storage and hypervisors, this book explains the design decisions you’ll face and how to make the right choices.
Written by two virtualization experts and packed with real-world strategies and examples, VMware vSphere Design, Second Edition will help you design smart design decisions.
- Shows IT administrators how plan, deploy, maintain, and optimize vSphere virtualization solutions
- Explains the design decisions typically encountered at every step in the process and how to make the right choices
- Covers server hardware selection, network topology, security, storage, virtual machine design, and more
- Topics include ESXi hypervisors deployment, vSwitches versus dvSwitches, and FC, FCoE, iSCSI, or NFS storage
Find out the “why” behind virtualization design decisions and make better choices, with VMware vSphere Design, Second Edition, which has been fully updated for vSphere 5.x.
From the Back Cover
What You Need to Make the Right Design Decisions
vSphere is the most robust and sophisticated hypervisor product available today. It is the de facto standard for businesses, both large and small. This book—written for engineers and architects who plan, install, maintain, and optimize vSphere solutions—is the only one of its kind to concisely explain how to execute a successful vSphere architecture that’s tailored to meet your company’s needs. Expert authors share with you the factors that shape the design of a vSphere implementation.
Which storage protocol is best for you? Should you build your vCenter as a virtual machine? Design your storage for capacity or for performance? This new updated edition reveals the design decisions that most companies face, explores the available options, discusses solutions—then helps you make the right choices. In addition to Datacenter Virtualization, this book also examines vCloud Director deployments.
Packed with real-world proven strategies, it’s the perfect guide for deploying a new design or transforming an existing one. Inside, you’ll explore:
- The fundamentals of designing VMware environments
- The overall design process
- Key things to consider, such as server hardware selection and sizing, security, virtual machine templates, and more
- How networking and storage landscapes impact vSphere design
- Design decisions that a typical company encounters, taking into consideration availability, manageability, performance, recoverability, and security
- Designing VMware vCloud Director environments
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. An Introduction to Designing VMware Environments
Chapter 2. The ESXi Hypervisor
Chapter 3. The Management Layer
Chapter 4. Server Hardware
Chapter 5. Designing Your Network
Chapter 6. Storage
Chapter 7. Virtual Machines
Chapter 8. Datacenter Design
Chapter 9. Designing with Security in Mind
Chapter 10. Monitoring and Capacity Planning
Chapter 11. Bringing a vSphere Design Together
Chapter 12. vCloud Design
- Paperback: 528 pages
- Publisher: Sybex; 2nd Edition (March 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118407911
- ISBN-13: 978-1118407912