The Smashing Idea Book
An unparalleled compendium of inspirational designs, photos, and web site looks
As the world’s most popular resource for web designers and developers, Smashing Magazine has a reputation for inspiring and informing and this new book upholds that stellar esteem. Unlike most other books available on the shelf that only provide thumbnail images, The Smashing Idea Book offers a lavish array of timeless and enduring graphic designs, photos, images, and web site designs… and then goes one step further to present you with practical guidance on how to apply this inspirational selection to your own designs.
You’ll benefit from the coverage on current trends as well as valuable advice on where to go online to discover your own sources of inspiration.
- Provides inspiration to web designers from a variety of sources, including existing web site designs, graphic designs, product design, photography, and more
- Encourages you to look to all areas of your life for inspiration and provides you with methods for finding more creativity beyond the book
- Offers helpful advice on how to use those visuals as inspiration and translate them into unique and memorable web site designs
- Examines what makes for good design, looks at a variety of web site design styles, and explores other avenues of inspiration including fashion, architecture, and interior design
The Smashing Idea Book is a great idea if you’re looking for design inspiration and motivation!
From the Back Cover
Smashing Ideas for Inspired Design
If your creative well has run dry or you are simply looking for ideas for you next design, The Smashing Ideas Book is a rich source of inspiration. Inside, Cameron Chapman offers hundreds of smashing ideas guaranteed to get your creative juices flowing and your mind buzzing.
Chapman zeros in on such universal elements of great design as color, shape, texture, balance, proportion, rhythm, and unity. She supplies over 700 amazing examples drawn from websites, as well as from the worlds of photography, product packaging, architecture, interior design, fashion, furniture, toys, everyday objects, and more.
An endless source of inspiration and design ideas, The Smashing Idea Book gives you:
- Dozens of screenshots from all kinds of websites
- Hundreds of superb full-color photos of great designs, from architecture to fashion to children’s toys
- Invaluable insights into the universal components of great design for any medium
- Priceless pointers on how to break through designer’s block
- Simple tricks for making existing designs sizzle like never before
- Tips on how to find design inspiration in everyday life
Table of Contents
PART I: FINDING INSPIRATION
Chapter 1. Types of Inspiration
Chapter 2. What Makes a Good Design?
PART II: INSPIRING IMAGES
Chapter 3. Website Designs
Chapter 4. Other Designs
Chapter 5. Photography
PART III: USING INSPIRATION
Chapter 6. Creating Something New from Direct Inspiration
Chapter 7. Creating Something New from Abstract Inspiration
Bonus Chapter. Finding Inspiration in Everyday Life
- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Wiley (August 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1119977428
- ISBN-13: 978-1119977421