Tax Strategies for the Small Business Owner
Tax Strategies for the Small Business Owner: Reduce Your Taxes and Fatten Your Profits will help the small business owner increase profits while feeling more comfortable dealing with taxes. It begins by looking at the often overlooked critical decision small business owners face when they start a business: the choice of business entity. The book then examines all the deductions that a business owner can take legally to reduce taxes. It also provides advice business owners need to make good tax-related decisions: Should I lease or buy? Should I hire an employee or outsource the task? How much will buying a building reduce my taxes and for how long?
- Startup and ongoing expenses
- Cost of goods sold
- Retirement plans
In short, Tax Strategies for the Small Business Owner will not only help you relax when you deal with your taxes—it’ll show you how to use tax law to your financial benefit.
What you’ll learn
- How to choose a business entity that’s right for your business.
- The requirements for deducting expenses.
- What you can deduct (and what you can’t).
- How to fund your retirement with help from the business.
- Using depreciation rules to reduce taxable income.
- Having benefit plans (medical and retirement) while complying with tax laws.
- How to take the tax implications into account when making strategic business decisions.
- What to do when you hear from the IRS.
- How to determine whether you need a tax professional to assist you.
Who this book is for
Taxes for the Small Business Owner is designed for owners of small to medium-sized businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs—millions of people in the U.S. This practical guide on taxation is designed for those who want to lower their tax bills by maximizing deductions. It will appeal to any owner or manager who wants to pay less tax—legally.
Table of Contents
Part I: Before the Business Opens
Chapter 1. The Business Entity
Chapter 2. An Overview of Taxation
Chapter 3. Before Your Business Opens
Part II: Day-to-Day Expenses
Chapter 4. The Basics of Expenses
Chapter 5. Cost of Goods Sold
Chapter 6. The Office
Chapter 7. The Car
Chapter 8. Travel
Chapter 9. Meals and Entertainment
Chapter 10. Fixed Assets and Depreciation
Part III: Employees, Payroll Taxes, and Benefit Plans
Chapter 11. Other Deductions
Chapter 12. Employees and Wages
Chapter 13. Payroll Taxes
Chapter 14. Medical Expenses
Chapter 15. Retirement Plans
Part IV: Other Items
Chapter 16. Other Taxes
Chapter 17. Dear Valued Taxpayer. When You Hear from the IRS
Chapter 18. Other Topics
- Paperback: 280 pages
- Publisher: Apress (January 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430248424
- ISBN-13: 978-1430248422