Scribus 1.3.5: Beginner’s Guide
Scribus is an Open Source program that brings award-winning and inexpensive professional page layout to desktop computers with a combination of “press-ready” output and new approaches to page layout. Creating professional-looking documents using Scribus is not a cakewalk, especially with so many features at your disposal, it’s hard to know where to get started!
Scribus Beginners guide walks users step by step through common projects, such as creating a brochure,newsletter, business cards and so on. It also includes guidelines on starting a web newsletter and online PDF (Adobe Acrobat format) newsletter along with basic scripting to extend Scribus as per your requirements.
A practical guide that reveals everything you need to easily create professional-looking documents with Scribus.
What you will learn from this book :
- Create page layouts using functional options in Scribus
- Create a master page such that the changes are automatically updated in the rest of the pages too.
- Apply text and picture frames for accurate placement of text and images
- Use path tools and coordinate system to set the frame shape
- Links one frame with another if you want the text to fill all the pages
- Use paragraph and character style to make text handling more easier
- Import pictures of many types, including JPEG, PNG, PSD, TIF to make your documents appealing.
- Set the image resolution, layers, and clipping paths to construct accurate images
- Apply interesting effects to your images such as to make the text flow around an image or another frame
- Import content from OpenOffice document such as text, graphics or tables.
- Use shades and transparencies to predict perfect colors of the images to get improved image effects after printing.
- Set the incredibly powerful color management system to work trustfully with your colors and pictures
- Extend Scribus with python scripts using the Scribus API
This book is a step by step guide packed with interesting examples and screenshots that cover lot of support options to help you achieve the superior quality documents.
This books is divided into 11 chapters, each chapter dealing with a precise aspect of the software to help you have the best overview and make the best design choices for your document.
Who this book is written for
This book is for people who want to create professional-looking documents with Scribus. If you want a great looking brochure, newsletter, or poster, this is the book for you.
No experience of desktop publishing software is required – only creativity and enthusiasm for creating great documents!
- Paperback: 348 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (December, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849513007
- ISBN-13: 978-1849513005