Sams Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development in 24 Hours, 2nd Edition
In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest mobile device: the iPhone! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your iPhone development environment to building great user interfaces, sensing motion to writing multitasking applications. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iOS development tasks.
Quizzes and Exercises at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
By the Way notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Did You Know? tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Watch Out! cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Printed in full color—figures and code appear as they do in Xcode
- Covers iOS 4.0 and up
- Learn the features of Xcode 3.2 and Interface Builder
- Prepare your system and iPhone for efficient development
- Get started quickly with Apple’s Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
- Understand the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development paradigm
- Design highly usable applications with interactive widgets and web-connected interfaces
- Use Table views to navigate structured data
- Build rotatable and resizable user interfaces
- Read and write data and create System Setting plug-ins
- Use the iPhone’s media playback and recording capabilities
- Create map and location-based (GPS) services
- Sense motion and orientation with the iPhone’s accelerometer and the iPhone 4 gyroscope
- Create universal applications that run on the iPhone and iPad
- Write background-aware multitasking applications
- Distribute your applications through the App Store
From the Back Cover
A clear, easy-to-understand tutorial for developers who want to write software for today’s hottest market: iPhone, iTouch, and App Store!
- The start-to-finish, hands-on introduction to iPhone programming for every developer, regardless of experience
- Introduces the iPhone development environment and teaches every essential Objective-C concept with fully-documented, carefully-explained code
- A complete tutorial package: step-by-step instructions, examples, Q and As, quizzes, exercises, tips, shortcuts, and more
iPhone is the world’s hottest application market: more than 500,000 developers have downloaded Apple’s iPhone software development kit in just one year. Now there’s a friendly, accessible guide to iPhone development for every programmer, regardless of experience. In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, Sams Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development in 24 Hours will help beginning iPhone and mobile developers gain true mastery, so you can construct virtually any iPhone application. Each lesson builds on everything that’s come before, helping you learn all they need to know without ever becoming overwhelmed. Coverage includes: preparing for iPhone development; navigating the development environment; mastering Objective-C and the MVC paradigm; using widgets and webviews; implementing multiple views; reading and writing data; building user interfaces; generating graphics; playing media; using maps; networking; using the touch interface; sensing motion; pushing application updates; debugging; optimization; distributing software via the App Store; and more. By the time you are finished you’ll be comfortable enough to write real-world apps that sell.
- Paperback: 704 pages
- Publisher: Sams; 2nd Edition (October, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0672332205
- ISBN-13: 978-0672332203