Sakai CLE Courseware Management
Sakai is a Collaboration and Learning environment that provides the means to manage users, courses, instructors, and facilities, as well as a spectrum of tools including assessment, grading, and messaging. Sakai is loaded with many handy features and tools, which make it uniquely the Learning system of the present as well as the future.
This book is the officially endorsed Sakai guide and is an update to the previous book, Sakai Courseware Management: The Official Guide. From setting up and running Sakai for the first time to creatively using its tools and features, this book delivers everything you need to know.
Written by Alan Berg, a Sakai fellow and former Quality Assurance Director of the Sakai Foundation and Ian Dolphin the Executive Director of the Sakai Foundation with significant contributions from the Sakai community, Sakai CLE Courseware Management: The Official Guide is a comprehensive study of how Sakai CLE should be used, managed, and maintained, with real world examples and practical explanations.
The book opens with an overview of Sakai, its history and how to set up a demonstration version. Next, the underlying structures and tools are described. In using Sakai for Teaching and Collaboration, there is a detailed discussion of how to structure online courses for teaching and collaboration between groups of students, from creating course sites to understanding their use in different organizations around the world.
What you will learn from this book :
- Set up, maintain, and run Sakai CLE in your learning institution
- Explore the underlying technologies involved and use them to their best effect
- Discover which tools exist and how to employ them effectively
- Design a great online learning experience
- Understand how Sakai can scale to support hundreds of thousands of students
- Learn best practices to avoid common pitfalls
- Use web services to connect to other systems
- Discover how many organizations use Sakai
This book takes a step-by-step, practical approach and is filled with examples and illustrations.
Who this book is written for
This book is written for a wide audience that includes teachers, system administrators, and first time developers. It also appeals to the Sakai open source community, potential community members, and decision makers working in education.
- Paperback: 456 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (July 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849515425
- ISBN-13: 978-1849515429