Professional Multicore Programming
Professional Multicore Programming: Design and Implementation for C++ Developers presents the basics of multicore programming in a simple, easy-to-understand manner so that you can easily apply the concepts to your everyday projects. Learn the fundamentals of programming for multiprocessor and multithreaded architecture, progress to multi-core programming and eventually become comfortable with programming techniques that otherwise can be difficult to understand. Anticipate the pitfalls and traps of concurrency programming and synchronization before you encounter them yourself by finding them outlined in this indispensable guide to multicore programming.
From the Back Cover
Professional Multicore Programming: Design and Implementation for C++ DevelopersIn order to increase overall system performance, computer manufacturers have opted to add more processors rather than increase clock frequency. In turn, if you want an application to benefit from the next new processor, that application will have to be modified to exploit multiprocessor computers. This practical book shifts the focus from sequential programming techniques to parallel and multithreaded programming techniques and introduces you to the everyday fundamentals of programming for multiprocessor and multithreaded architectures.
This duo of experienced authors takes the complicated topics of parallel processing and software concurrency and presents them in a clear, understandable manner. Their no-nonsense approach to programming multiprocessing and multithreading models, along with numerous helpful examples, demonstrates how to execute successful multicore programming and enables you to harness the power of the new multicore processors to their fullest potential.
What you will learn from this book
- The various pitfalls, traps, and challenges of concurrency programming and synchronization
- Methods and techniques for debugging and testing multicore programming
- How to take advantage of processor-specific features using cross-platform techniques
- The role of the operating system in multicore programming
- Ways to take advantage of framework classes as building blocks for concurrency
- How to reduce the complexity of task synchronization and communication through the use of interface classes
This book is for developers of various skill levels who are making the move into multicore programming and application development.
- Paperback: 648 pages
- Publisher: Wrox (September 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470289627
- ISBN-13: 978-0470289624