PHP and MySQL 24-Hour Trainer
Step-by-step lessons for using PHP and MySQL in a unique book-and-video combination
Assuming no previous experience with PHP or MySQL, this book-and-video package is ideal reading for anyone who wants to go beyond HTML/CSS in order to provide clients with the most dynamic web sites possible. The approachable tone breaks down the basics of programming and PHP and MySQL in individual lessons starting with the installation of the programs necessary to run PHP. You begin with a static web site and then watch and learn as PHP functionality is added as you work through the lessons.
When working with databases, the MySQL database is introduced with demonstrations that show how to interact with it. The accompanying videos enhance your learning experience, as each lesson in the book is portrayed in the video exercises.
- Getting started with PHP
- Setting up your workspace
- Adding PHP to a web page
- Learning PHP syntax
- Working with variables
- Debugging code
- Working with complex data
- Making decisions
- Repeating program steps
- Learning about scope
- Reusing code with functions
- Creating forms
- Introducing object-oriented programming
- Defining classes
- Using classes
- Using advanced techniques
- Handling errors
- Writing secure code
- Introducing databases
- Introducing MySQL
- Creating and connecting to the
- Creating tables
- Entering data
- Selecting data
- Using multiple tables
- Changing data
- Deleting data
- Preventing database security issues
- Creating user logins
- Turn the case study into a content management system
Note: As part of the print version of this title, video lessons are included on DVD. For e-book versions, video lessons can be accessed at wrox.com using a link provided in the interior of the e-book.
From the Back Cover
Take static pages and turn them into a dynamic website!
Perhaps you know how to create a static website using HTML/CSS, but now you want to learn how to create dynamic, data-driven websites. If you’re new to PHP and MySQL, this book-and-DVD package is an ideal introduction to working with website pages that contain a mixture of HTML and PHP/MySQL. Author Andrea Tarr starts with what you know—an HTML/CSS website—and step by step she teaches you how to replace and enhance the site using PHP to create and manipulate your HTML pages and MySQL to bring in your data. You learn how to design, create, and use databases with MySQL, both within PHP programs and using the popular phpMyAdmin program. Explaining the programming principles as you go along, this book-and-DVD combination provides you with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of PHP and the basics of object-oriented programming.
PHP and MySQL 24-Hour Trainer:
- Escorts you through preparing your computer to run PHP and MySQL by downloading and installing free software
- Explains what variables are, how to work with them, and how to debug your programs
- Zeros in on how databases work and how to design them
- Shares tips for working with MySQL in a PHP program
- Details ways to create tables, enter data, select data, change data, and delete data
The 24-Hour Trainer is a unique book-and-DVD package that delivers step-by-step lessons for handling real-world scenarios. Each lesson in the book is accompanied by an instructional video that reinforces the content while providing additional explanations and tips.
On the DVD
- Don’t just learn—do!
- The lessons within the book are each accompanied by an instructional demonstration on the DVD.
You’ll learn to:
- Manipulate your website using PHP
- Use object-oriented programming
- Handle errors and write secure code
- Design a database
- Integrate MySQL with PHP
- Process HTML forms
- Create user logins, a mini content management system, and a data-driven menu
Please see the DVD appendix for details and complete system requirements.
- Paperback: 504 pages
- Publisher: Wrox (November 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 111806688X
- ISBN-13: 978-1118066881