Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g R2: Getting Started 2011
In today’s economy, businesses and IT professionals cannot afford to lag behind the latest technologies. Data warehousing is a critical area to the success of many enterprises, and Oracle Warehouse Builder is a powerful tool for building data warehouses. It comes free with the latest version of the Oracle database.
Written in an accessible, informative, and focused manner, this book will teach you to use Oracle Warehouse Builder to build your data warehouse. Covering warehouse design, the import of source data, the ETL cycle and more, this book will have you up and running in next to no time.
This book will walk you through the complete process of planning, building, and deploying a data warehouse using Oracle Warehouse Builder. By the book’s end, you will have built your own data warehouse from scratch.
Starting with the installation of the Oracle Database and Warehouse Builder software, this book then covers the analysis of source data, designing a data warehouse, and extracting, transforming, and loading data from the source system into the data warehouse. You’ll follow the whole process with detailed screenshots of key steps along the way that have all been updated for the new Fusion Client Platform interface in 11gR2, alongside numerous tips and hints not covered by the official documentation.
You’ll finish up with a brand new chapter on code templates where you’ll implement a complete mapping using JDBC connectivity and code template mappings.
What you will learn from this book :
- Configure your Oracle database to communicate with a non-Oracle database using Oracle Heterogeneous Services
- Build, view, and edit a cube and its dimensions, using Warehouse Builder Wizards and the Data Object Editor
- Discover the underlying star schema relational structure that Warehouse Builder will build to implement your cube and dimensions
- Recognize what a staging area is, and build a staging table and mapping to load it from SQL Server database tables
- Master various operators for use in mappings, for the transformation and flow of data
- Build and execute mappings to load dimensions and a cube using the Warehouse Builder Mapping Editor and Control Center Manager
- Detailed explanation of the new interface in 11gR2
- Implement JDBC connectivity to a remote database and access source data using a code template mapping
This easy-to-understand tutorial covers Oracle Warehouse Builder from the ground up, and taps into the author’s wide experience as a software and database engineer. Written in a relaxed style with step-by-step explanations, lots of screenshots are provided throughout the book. There are numerous tips and helpful hints throughout that are not found in the original documentation. By following this book, you can use Oracle Warehouse Builder in the best possible way and maximize your learning potential.
This book is an update of Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g: Getting Started.
Who this book is written for
This book is a good starting point for database engineers, administrators, and architects who are responsible for data warehouse projects and need to design them and load data into them. If you are someone who wants to learn Oracle Warehouse Builder and expand your knowledge of the tool and data warehousing, this is an ideal book for you. No prior data warehouse or database experience is presumed. All new database and data warehouse technical terms and concepts explained in clear easy-to-understand language.
- Paperback: 424 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (May 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849683441
- ISBN-13: 978-1849683449