Geospatial mapping applications have become hugely popular in recent years. With smart-phone and tablet numbers snow-balling this trend looks set to continue well into the future. Indeed, it is true to say that in today’s mobile world location-aware apps are becoming the norm rather than the exception.
In Microsoft Mapping author Ray Rischpater showcases Microsoft’s Bing Maps API and demonstrates how its integration features make it by far the strongest mapping candidate for business that are already using Windows 8 or the .NET Framework. Whether you want to build a new app from scratch of add a few modest geospatial features to your existing website Ray’s carefully chosen examples will provide you with both the inspiration and the code you need to achieve your goals.
What you’ll learn
- Fully working code samples that show the concepts in use with ASP.NET 4.5, Windows 8 and Windows Phone.
- Complete solutions to the common problems of geospatial development: visualisation, hosting and localization of services are all explained.
- Demonstrates how the Bing Maps API can be connected to the Azure Cloud in order to provide a stand-alone mapping bolt-on with little additional up-front cost and great reliability.
- Unique coverage of how the Bing Maps API can be implanted within Windows Phone and iOS apps to provide a robust service tailored to the capabilities of each device.
Who this book is for
This book is for experienced Microsoft developers with a grounding in C# and .NET together with a basic understanding of WCF.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Getting Started with Microsoft and Mapping
Chapter 2. Painless Hosting with Azure
Chapter 3. Geospatial with Azure SQL Database
Chapter 4. Hosting WCF Services on Windows Azure
Chapter 5. Map Visualization with Bing Maps for the Web
Chapter 6. Doing More with Bing Maps
Chapter 7. Bing Maps for WPF
Chapter 8. Bing Maps for Windows Store Apps
Chapter 9. Bing Maps for Windows Phone 8
Chapter 10. Power Map for Excel
- Paperback: 180 pages
- Publisher: Apress (November 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430261099
- ISBN-13: 978-1430261094