Marmalade SDK Mobile Game Development Essentials
Modern mobile devices are capable of supporting video games of amazing quality but there are so many different devices and platforms how can you support them all? The answer is to use the Marmalade SDK to write your code once and deploy it to all popular mobile platforms at the touch of a button.
Marmalade SDK Mobile Game Development Essentials will provide you with everything you need to know to transfer your existing C++ videogame programming knowledge to mobile devices. From graphics and sound to input methods and actual deployment to device, this book covers the lot.Learn how to make use of keys, touch screen and accelerometer inputs for controlling your game.Take the pain out of supporting a varied range of target devices, both across multiple platforms and multiple specifications.
Step by step from “Hello World” to a complete game, this book will show how to use the Marmalade SDK to develop games for mobile devices.
Learn how to make dazzling 2D and 3D games complete with fully animated characters, music and sound effects that can be deployed to all the leading mobile platforms, whilst ensuring it can run on a wide range of possible devices, from low specification to high end.
If you want to join the exciting world of mobile videogames then Learning Mobile Game Development with Marmalade will show you how to do so, fast!
What you will learn from this book
- See a complete game develop from start to finish as you journey through the book.
- Deploy to several leading mobile platforms all from a single C++ codebase
- Implement amazing 2D and 3D graphics and animation
- Easily manage the graphics, sound and data assets your game requires by using Marmalade’s resource management system
- Best practices when developing user interfaces for mobile games
- Harness the wide range of possible input methods available on modern devices including touch screen and accelerometers
- Learn how to extend the Marmalade SDK to support device specific features using the Extensions Development Kit (EDK
- Support a wide range of devices with different specifications such as processor speed and graphical ability
A practical tutorial that’s easy to follow with lots of tips, examples and diagrams, including a full game project that grows with each chapter.
Who this book is written for
This book targets Professional and Indie game developers who want to develop games quickly and easily to run across a huge range of smartphones and tablets. You are expected to have some experience writing games using C++ on other platforms. Its aim is to show how to take your existing skills and apply them to writing games for mobile devices (including iOS and Android) by explaining the use of the Marmalade SDK.
Familiarity with games and 3D graphics programming would be helpful. No knowledge of specific mobile SDKs such as iOS or Android is required.
- Paperback: 318 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (November 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849693366
- ISBN-13: 978-1849693363