iPhone Applications Tune-Up
The best iPhone applications are the ones that demonstrate smooth, fast, efficient and optimal performance. An application should be designed to run at 200 mph, but operate just as smoothly as it would at 5 mph. Developing an application that supports such a wide range of performance needs is no small task and requires an understanding of the basic elements of performance as well as a strong strategy.
This book covers every aspect of tuning, optimizing, and squeezing every last bit of performance out of an iOS project. From application architecture and design to development and deployment, readers will be guided through the entire process of tuning an iOS application for high performance.
Every line of code presents an opportunity to improve upon the effective performance of an application. This book begins with the fundamentals of performance, demonstrating the impact poor performance can have on the success of an application. Apple’s App Store is riddled with applications that fall just short of success and it isn’t too much of a stretch to attribute many of these failures to a lack of optimization. Readers will be lead through each chapter, learning every aspect of performance tuning from simple syntax tips and tricks to advanced process management, and network and memory optimizations.
In addition to theories, syntax, and detailed code examples, readers will learn to take advantage of Apple’s powerful performance measurement and benchmarking utilities to identify the specific components of an iOS project that might need attention.
Learn the fundamentals of performance driven development to remedy existing performance related issues or design high performance iOS applications from start to finish
What you will learn from this book:
- Understand the basic principles of application performance and bottlenecks
- Learn the benefits and techniques of performance-driven development
- Analyze an application with proper benchmarking and measurement utilities
- Identify iOS and device capabilities and limitations
- Improve network and communications performance
- Understand the common pitfalls caused by misuse of basic language syntax
- Learn design patterns that can increase application simplicity and performance
- Become more familiar with the object and component lifecycle
- Use unit testing and exception handling to create better code
- Store and recall data faster and more efficiently
Written to be read straight through as well as to be used as a technical reference, each chapter of this book focuses on an individual aspect of application performance and how it relates to the overall development and tune-up process.
The reader will be introduced to the fundamentals of iOS performance bottlenecks and how poor application performance can and does affect a user’s experience, adoption, and ultimately success
Who this book is written for
This book is for iOS application developers who are interested in resolving application performance bottlenecks in both new and existing Xcode projects. Readers should be familiar with the basic concepts and principles of iOS development, Objective-C syntax, and use of Apple’s Xcode development environment.
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (October 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849690340
- ISBN-13: 978-1849690348