iOS 4 Programming Cookbook
You can build a variety of amazing apps on the iOS platform—and every one of them presents a unique set of problems. With the recipes in this cookbook, you’ll go beyond theory to solve the vexing, real-life issues you’re likely to face when creating apps for the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Each recipe provides a clear solution and sample code that you can use right away.
You’ll find solutions for working with development frameworks in iOS SDK 4 and technologies such as Cocoa, Objective-C, Xcode, and Interface Builder. Whether you have a little or a lot of experience with iOS development, you’ll find the help you need for every phase of the process, from initial idea to completed project.
- Work with Objective-C classes, objects, properties, delegates, and memory management
- Construct a user interface with gesture recognizers
- Develop location-aware applications with the Map Kit and Core Location APIs
- Build apps that play audio and video, manage calendars and events, access contacts and groups, or tap into the Photo Library
- Use the Core Motion framework to access the accelerometer and gyroscope
- Maintain persistent storage for iOS apps with the Core Data framework
- Create multitasking-aware apps that let users leave and return without losing their place
From the Author
This book is the result of hundreds of hours of time put into writing new, exciting and pragmatic recipes for iOS 4 and iOS 3. It will teach you the topics you really need to know about when writing iOS 4 and iOS 3 apps, such as:
- Writing Multitasking-aware applications. A whole chapter is dedicated to this.
- Using gesture recognizers to create intuitive User Interfaces.
- Using the Event Kit and Event Kit UI Frameworks in iOS 4 SDK to interact with the Calendar.
- Using Operations, Threads and Timers to write Multithreaded applications with ease.
And much more. The information you will find in this book is really the nitty gritty that you should know about to be able to last longer as an iOS developer in the market. Whether you are developing apps from home and placing them in the App Store or you are working for a company, it doesn’t matter. Pick your copy and taste how delicious the recipes are!
- Paperback: 640 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media (January 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1449388221
- ISBN-13: 978-1449388225