Data Virtualization for Business Intelligence Systems
Data virtualization can help you accomplish your goals with more flexibility and agility. Learn what it is and how and why it should be used with Data Virtualization for Business Intelligence Systems. In this book, expert author Rick van der Lans explains how data virtualization servers work, what techniques to use to optimize access to various data sources and how these products can be applied in different projects. You’ll learn the difference is between this new form of data integration and older forms, such as ETL and replication, and gain a clear understanding of how data virtualization really works. Data Virtualization for Business Intelligence Systems outlines the advantages and disadvantages of data virtualization and illustrates how data virtualization should be applied in data warehouse environments. You’ll come away with a comprehensive understanding of how data virtualization will make data warehouse environments more flexible and how it make developing operational BI applications easier. Van der Lans also describes the relationship between data virtualization and related topics, such as master data management, governance, and information management, so you come away with a big-picture understanding as well as all the practical know-how you need to virtualize your data.
- First independent book on data virtualization that explains in a product-independent way how data virtualization technology works.
- Illustrates concepts using examples developed with commercially available products.
- Shows you how to solve common data integration challenges such as data quality, system interference, and overall performance by following practical guidelines on using data virtualization.
- Apply data virtualization right away with three chapters full of practical implementation guidance.
- Understand the big picture of data virtualization and its relationship with data governance and information management.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to Data Virtualization
Chapter 2. Under the Hood of a Data Virtualization Server
Chapter 3. Caching of Virtual Tables
Chapter 4. Query Optimization Techniques
Chapter 5. Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence
Chapter 6. A Business Intelligence Architecture based on Data Virtualization
Chapter 7. Design Guidelines for Data Virtualization
Chapter 8. Data Virtualization and SOA
Chapter 9. Data Virtualization and Master Data Management
Chapter 10. Data Virtualization, Information Management, and Data Governance
Chapter 11. The Data Delivery Platform – A New Architecture for Information Management
Chapter 12. The Future of Data Virtualization
- Paperback: 296 pages
- Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann (July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0123944252
- ISBN-13: 978-0123944252