BackTrack 5 Cookbook
BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. BackTrack is a distribution based on the Debian GNU/Linux distribution aimed at digital forensics and penetration testing use. It is named after backtracking, a search algorithm.
“BackTrack 5 Cookbook” provides you with practical recipes featuring many popular tools that cover the basics of a penetration test: information gathering, vulnerability identification, exploitation, priviledge escalation, and covering your tracks.
The book begins by covering the installation of BackTrack 5 and setting up a virtual environment to perform your tests.
We then dip into recipes involving the basic principles of a penetration test such as information gathering, vulnerability identification, and exploitation. You will further learn about privilege escalation, radio network analysis, Voice over IP, Password cracking, and BackTrack forensics.
“BackTrack 5 Cookbook” will serve as an excellent source of information for the security professional and novice alike.
What will you learn from this book
- Install and set up BackTrack 5 on multiple platforms
- Customize BackTrack to fit your individual needs
- Exploit vulnerabilities found with Metasploit
- Locate vulnerabilities Nessus and OpenVAS
- Provide several solutions to escalate privileges on a compromised machine
- Learn how to use BackTrack in all phases of a penetration test
- Crack WEP/WPA/WPA2 Encryption
- Learn how to monitor and eavesdrop on VOIP networks
This is a cookbook with the necessary explained commands and code to learn BackTrack thoroughly. It smoothes your learning curve through organized recipes.
Who this book is written for
This book is for anyone who desires to come up to speed in using BackTrack 5 or for use as a reference for seasoned penetration testers.
- Paperback: 296 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (December 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 184951738X
- ISBN-13: 978-1849517386