Alfresco 3 Records Management
The Alfresco Records Management feature set is so complete that it is one of the very limited number of systems, and the only Open Source solution, that has been fully certified for Records Management use by the US Department of Defense. Record keeping is important because accurate records are really the only way that organizations can demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements. The amount of regulation that organizations must comply with has gone up dramatically over the last decade, and the complexity of record management has increased proportionally.
Alfresco 3 Records Management is a complete guide for setting up records programs within organizations. The book is the first and only one that describes Alfresco’s implementation of Records Management. It not only teaches the technology for implementing Records Management, but also discusses the important roles that both processes and people play in the building of a successful records program..
Alfresco 3 Records Management starts with a description of the importance of record keeping, especially from a regulatory compliance perspective. It then discusses Records Management best practices and standards, and goes on to describe step by step how to identify documents that need to be managed as records, how to use Alfresco Records Management software to set up the File Plan structure for organizing the storage of records, and then how to manage the lifecycle of the records.
The book provides detailed instructions for installing and configuring Alfresco Records Management. The topics covered include setting up a record File Plan, filing records, establishing record retention schedules, setting up security and permissions, assigning metadata, extending the content model, using advanced search techniques, and creating system activity audit reports. The book also provides “deep-dive” information from a developer’s perspective about how the Records Management module was implemented within the Alfresco Share platform. Alfresco 3 Records Management covers features available in both the Community and Enterprise versions of Alfresco software. By the end of this book, you will be able to successfully develop a records policy and implement it within Alfresco Records Management.
A practical guide to designing, creating, and implementing a records program for your organization with DoD-5015.2 certified Alfresco Records Management
What you will learn from this book
- Install and configure the Alfresco Records Management module
- Identify the right team members from your organization for planning, implementing, and maintaining an effective records management strategy
- Learn the key elements of best-practice Records Management standards, such as ISO-15489 and DoD 5015.2
- Effectively organize records into a File Plan structure and control record lifecycles, including the ultimate destruction of records
- File records not only from the Alfresco Share web interface, but also from the desktop, e-mail clients, FTP, and batch processing
- Extend the Content Model of the Alfresco base records to include user-defined searchable metadata properties
- Use the Records Search tool to pinpoint the location of records that you are looking for and run audit reports to monitor system activities
- Understand role creation and the granular Records Management permission model to effectively secure your Records Management installation
This book is structured in a sequential way that walks you through the steps necessary to set up your Alfresco Records Management system. Chapters follow a logical progression with each chapter building on the knowledge and implementation details learned in earlier chapters.
Who this book is written for
If you are a records manager, business analyst, or a software developer, and want to implement the Alfresco Records Management program for your organization, then this book is for you. You don’t require any prior knowledge of Alfresco Share software to follow this book.
- Paperback: 488 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (January, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849514364
- ISBN-13: 978-1849514361