Advanced UNIX Programming, 2nd Edition
The classic guide to UNIX® programming-completely updated!
UNIX application programming requires a mastery of system-level services. Making sense of the many functions-more than 1,100 functions in the current UNIX specification-is a daunting task, so for years programmers have turned to Advanced UNIX Programming for its clear, expert advice on how to use the key functions reliably.
An enormous number of changes have taken place in the UNIX environment since the landmark first edition. In Advanced UNIX Programming, Second Edition, UNIX pioneer Marc J. Rochkind brings the book fully up to date, with all-new, comprehensive coverage including:
- Darwin, the Mac™ OS X kernel
- And more than 200 new system calls
Rochkind’s fully updated classic explains all the UNIX system calls you’re likely to need, all in a single volume!
- Interprocess communication, networking (sockets), pseudo terminals, asynchronous I/O, advanced signals, realtime, and threads
- Covers the system calls you’ll actually use-no need to plow through hundreds of improperly implemented, obsolete, and otherwise unnecessary system calls!
- Thousands of lines of example code include a Web browser and server, a keystroke recorder/player, and a shell complete with pipelines, redirection, and background processes
- Emphasis on the practical-ensuring portability, avoiding pitfalls, and much more!
Since 1985, the one book to have for mastering UNIX application programming has been Rochkind’s Advanced UNIX Programming. Now completely updated, the second edition remains the choice for up-to-the-minute, in-depth coverage of the essential system-level services of the UNIX family of operating systems.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Fundamental Concepts
Chapter 2. Basic File I/O
Chapter 3. Advanced File I/O
Chapter 4. Terminal I/O
Chapter 5. Processes and Threads
Chapter 6. Basic Interprocess Communication
Chapter 7. Advanced Interprocess Communication
Chapter 8. Networking and Sockets
Chapter 9. Signals and Timers
Appendix A. Process Attributes
Appendix B. Ux: A C++ Wrapper for Standard UNIX Functions
Appendix C. Jtux: A Java/Jython Interface to Standard UNIX Functions
Appendix D. Alphabetical and Categorical Function Lists
- Paperback: 736 pages
- Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; 2nd Edition (April 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0131411543
- ISBN-13: 978-0131411548