A Programmer’s Guide to C# 5.0, 4th Edition
A Programmer’s Guide to C# 5.0 is a book for software developers who want to truly understand C#. Whether you’ve worked with C# before or with another general-purpose programming language, each fast-paced, focused chapter will take you straight to the heart of a feature of C# and show you why it works the way it does.
Written by one-time C# Test Lead, Program Manager, and member of the original C# language design team, this book is an ideal companion to the C# Language Specification, and works both as a tutorial and as a reference guide. Now in its fourth edition, you will find up-to-date coverage of all the latest C# features, including Linq, covariance and contravariance, and async support.
You’ll learn how to:
- Use C# features effectively, in the way they were intended
- Apply the newest C# features to your coding problems
- Streamline your database code using LINQ
- Use async support and the task parallel library to improve performance.
- Program more efficiently, effectively, and with real insight into this mature and exciting language, with A Programmer’s Guide to C# 5.0.
What you’ll learn
- Learn the “why” behind C# features.
- Learn how to use C# features effectively, in the way they were designed.
- Apply the newest C# features to your coding problems.
- Streamline your database code using Linq.
- Use Async support to simplify your code.
Who this book is for
A Programmer’s Guide to C# is aimed at software developers who want to improve their proficiency at using the C# language. No prior knowledge of .NET is required, but the book does assume experience with a general-purpose programming language.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The .NET Runtime Environment
Chapter 2. C# Quick Start and C# Development
Chapter 3. Classes 101
Chapter 4. Base Classes and Inheritance
Chapter 5. Exceptions
Chapter 6. Member Accessibility and Overloading
Chapter 7. Other Class Details
Chapter 8. Structs (Value Types)
Chapter 9. Interfaces
Chapter 10. Versioning and Aliases
Chapter 11. Statements and Flow of Execution
Chapter 12. Variable Scoping and Definite Assignment
Chapter 13. Operators and Expressions
Chapter 14. Conversions
Chapter 15. Arrays
Chapter 16. Properties
Chapter 17. Generics
Chapter 18. Indexers, Enumerators, and Iterators
Chapter 19. Strings
Chapter 20. Enumerations
Chapter 21. Attributes
Chapter 22. Delegates and Anonymous Methods
Chapter 23. Events
Chapter 24. Dynamic types
Chapter 25. User-Defined Conversions
Chapter 26. Operator Overloading
Chapter 27. Nullable Types
Chapter 28. Linq
Chapter 29. Linq to XML
Chapter 30. Linq to SQL
Chapter 31. Other Language Details
Chapter 32. Making Friends with the .NET Framework
Chapter 33. System.Array and the Collection Classes
Chapter 34. Threading
Chapter 35. Asynchronous and Parallel Programming
Chapter 36. Execution-Time Code Generation
Chapter 37. Interop
Chapter 38. .NET Framework Overview
Chapter 39. Deeper into C#
Chapter 40. Logging and Debugging Techniques
Chapter 41. IDEs and Utilities
- Paperback: 472 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 4th Edition (November 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 143024593X
- ISBN-13: 978-1430245933