Windows 7 and Vista Guide to Scripting, Automation, and Command Line Tools
THE ONLY HANDS-ON, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO VBSCRIPT, THE WINDOWS COMMAND LINE, AND WINDOWS POWERSHELL
Windows 7 and Vista contain state-of-the-art tools for streamlining or automating virtually any system management task. If you’re a power user, administrator, or developer, these tools can help you eliminate repetitive work and manage your systems far more reliably and effectively.
Renowned Windows expert Brian Knittel brings together the practical knowledge you need to use all these tools, including VBScript and Windows Scripting Host (WSH), traditional batch files, the advanced PowerShell command console, and more. Using plenty of examples, Knittel explains how each tool works, and how to solve real-world problems with them.
You’ll master techniques ranging from accessing files to manipulating the Registry, sending automated emails to configuring new users. Knittel also provides concise, handy references to Windows 7/Vista’s command line, GUI scripting, and object-based management tools.
The only single-source guide to all leading methods of Windows scripting and automation, this book will help you get far more done–in far less time!
- Understand Windows Scripting Host (WSH) and the modern Windows scripting environment
- Script objects with VBScript, JScript, ActivePerl, and ActivePython
- Read and write files, including XML and HTML files
- Manipulate programs and shortcuts
- Manage network, printer, and fax connections
- Make the most of PowerShell under Windows 7 and Vista
- Monitor and administer Windows systems with Windows Management Interface (WMI)
- Use ADSI to control Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange, and manage users more efficiently
- Avoid mistakes that can compromise script security
- Use Windows’ debugging tools to test and troubleshoot scripts
- Develop batch files that take full advantage of the command line
- Send faxes and email messages from scripts with Windows Fax and Collaboration Data Objects (CDO)
- Deploy your scripts throughout your organization
Brian Knittel has been a software developer for more than 30 years. He has coauthored five
titles in Que’s Special Edition Using series, covering Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, and 2000.
He is also author of Windows XP Under the Hood, and coauthor of Upgrading and Repairing Windows (with Scott Mueller).
- Paperback: 844 pages
- Publisher: Que (December, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0789737280
- ISBN-13: 978-0789737281