The Non-Designer’s Illustrator Book
Many designers and photographers own the entire suite of Adobe creative products, but they manage to learn only one or two of the applications really well. This new addition to the popular Non-Designer’s series from best-selling authors Robin Williams and John Tollett includes many individual exercises designed specifically to teach the tools and features in Illustrator that designers (as opposed to illustrators) need to use. Along the way, the book offers many design tips for non-designers. Individual exercises ensure that a reader can jump in at any point and learn a specific tool or technique.
In this non-designer’s guide to Illustrator techniques, you’ll learn:
- How vector images, as in Illustrator, are different from raster images, as in Photoshop, and when to choose which one
- How to use Illustrator’s tools to create and work with lines, shapes, anchor points and control handles, color, etc.
- How to draw your own shapes and trace others
- How to enter text and control the design of it
- How to take advantage of the symbol libraries, clipping masks, variable-width strokes, and much more
- When and why to rasterize elements of your vector image
About the Author
Robin Williams is the author of dozens of best-selling and award-winning books, including The Non-Designer’s Presentation Book, The Non-Designer’s Design Book, The Little Mac Book, and so many more. Through her writing, teaching, and seminars, Robin has educated and influenced an entire generation of computer users in the areas of design, typography, presentations, and the Mac.
John Tollett has co-authored numerous books with Robin, including Robin Williams Cool Mac Apps, Robin Williams Design Workshop, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and many others. In John’s career as a designer, illustrator, and art director, Adobe Illustrator has been a valuable and favorite creative tool since the very first editon of the program released in 1990.
- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Peachpit Press (October 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0321772873
- ISBN-13: 978-0321772879