SOA Made Simple
SOA is an industry term which is often preached like a religion rather than taught like a technology, and over time, grasping the concept has become unnecessarily difficult. Many companies proclaim that they don’t know where to begin with SOA, while others have begun their SOA effort but haven’t reaped the benefits they were convinced it would bring. “SOA Made Simple” unveils the true meaning of Service Oriented Architecture and how to make it successful so that you can confidently explain SOA to anyone!
“SOA Made Simple” explains exactly what SOA is in simple terminology and by using real-life examples. Once a simple definition is clear in your mind, you’ll be guided through what SOA solves, when and why you should use it, and how to set up, design and categorize your SOA landscape. With this book in hand you’ll learn to keep your SOA strategy successful as you expand on it.
“SOA Made Simple” demystifies SOA, simply. It is not difficult to grasp, but for various reasons SOA is often made unnecessarily complex. Service-orientation is already a very natural way of thinking for business stakeholders that want to realize and sell services to potential clients, and this book helps you to realize that concept both in theory and practice.
You’ll begin with a clear and simple explanation of what SOA is and why we need it. You’ll then be presented with plain facts about the key ingredients of a service, and along the way learn about service design, layering and categorizing, some major SOA platform offerings as well as governance and successful implementation.
After reading “SOA Made Simple” you will have a clear understanding of what SOA is so you can implement and govern SOA in your own organization.
What you will learn from this book
- Start logically by understanding the misalignment of IT and Business and the problems it causes
- Gradually learn about the solution to this misalignment with SOA concepts such as service, solution architecture, and more
- Put together clear definitions of ‘Service’ and ‘Architecture’ to understand the full SOA picture
- Fully understand how to distinguish between both well and badly designed services and pinpoint the reasons for each
- Get to grips with the different service layers, guidelines and principles of service design
- Learn about the building blocks of SOA, like BPM and Enterprise Service Bus
- Dive into the realization and maintenance of your SOA once the concept is clear
- Think about SOA in historic perspective: the evolution from EAI, CBD, OO and so on
- Understand how to pick your battles once you finally get started with SOA to make it a successful effort in your own organization!
“SOA Made Simple” is a concise and indispensable handbook for finally understanding exactly what Service Oriented Architecture is. Split into three clear sections, in this book you’ll learn from both theory as well as step-by-step implementation examples to aid in your understanding of this often poorly- articulated industry term.
Who this book is for
If you are an architect who wants to be completely clear in your understanding of what SOA is, then this book is essential. In fact, anyone (designer, developer, administrator or team lead) who is implementing or about to implement an architecture in an IT environment should not miss out on “SOA Made Simple”.
Some previous experience with general software architecture is required, but this guide will tell you everything you need to know about SOA in a clear and easy fashion.
- Paperback: 292 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (December 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849684162
- ISBN-13: 978-1849684163