See What I Mean
Comics are a unique way to communicate, using both image and text to effectively demonstrate time, function, and emotion. Just as vividly as they convey the feats of superheroes, comics tell stories of your users and your products. Comics can provide your organization with an exciting and effective alternative to slogging through requirements documents and long reports.
Learn to use a method that’s been embraced by large corporations such as Google, eBay, and Adobe, startups like Twitter and Foodspotting, and agencies including Adaptive Path and nForm. In See What I Mean, Kevin Cheng, OK/Cancel founder/cartoonist and co-founder of Incredible Labs, will teach you how you can use comics as a powerful communication tool without trained illustrators.
This book will help you:
- Learn a method to document your organization’s work, ideas and vision in a way that any project teammate, customer or manager will readily understand and consume
- Put the “story” back in “storyboarding” and really describe the user experience from the users’ perspective
- Include the use of comics in the product development life cycle to prevent wasted time and resources spent building the wrong product
- Use comics as a way to engage users early and solicit their feedback
- Sell the value of the method to the rest of your organization
- Discover the properties of the comics medium that make them so much more than either words or pictures
In See What I Mean, Kevin will walk you step by step through the process of using comics to communicate, and provide examples from industry leaders who have already adopted this method.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Why Comics
Chapter 1. Comics Save Time
Chapter 2. Properties of Comics
Part 2: Making a Comic
Chapter 3. Basic Drawing
Chapter 4. What’s Your Comic About?
Chapter 5. Writing the Story
Chapter 6. Laying Out the Comic
Chapter 7. Drawing Comics
Part 3: Using Comics
Chapter 8. Applying Comics
Chapter 9. Breaking Down the Barriers
Chapter 10. Onward
- Paperback: 218 pages
- Publisher: Rosenfeld Media (November 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1933820276
- ISBN-13: 978-1933820279