Ruby and MongoDB Web Development: Beginner’s Guide
MongoDB is a high-performance, open source, schema-free document-oriented database. Ruby is an object- oriented scripting language. Ruby and MongoDB are an ideal partnership for building scalable web applications.
Ruby and MongoDB Web Development Beginner’s Guide is a fast-paced, hands-on guide to get started with web application development using Ruby and MongoDB. The book follows a practical approach, using clear and step-by-step instructions and examples in Ruby to demonstrate application development using MongoDB.
The book starts by introducing the concepts of MongoDB. The book teaches everything right from the installation to creating objects, MongoDB internals, queries and Ruby Data Mappers.
You will learn how to use various Ruby data mappers like Mongoid and MongoMapper to map Ruby objects to MongoDB documents.
You will learn MongoDB features and deal with geo-spatial indexing with MongoDB and Scaling MongoDB.
With its coverage of concepts and practical examples, Ruby and MongoDB Web Development Beginner’s Guide is the right choice for Ruby developers to get started with developing websites with MongoDB as the database.
What you will learn from this book
- Get MongoDB and Ruby up and running on your machine (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Leverage MongoDB to build highly scalable data-centric applications
- Leverage MongoDB replication to ensure high availability and reliability
- Create your first object and save it to MongoDB
- Create a Ruby Object and map it to MongoDB document
- Process large datasets with MapReduce
- Create geo-spatial indexes or 2D indexes
- Learn about Mongoid and MongoMapper for mapping Ruby objects to MongoDB documents
This book is packed with step-by-step instructions and practical examples, along with accompanying screenshots and code for an easy learning curve. The needs of a beginner are totally satisfied by the book.
Who this book is written for
This book assumes that you are experienced in Ruby development skills – Ruby, HTML, CSS. Having knowledge of using NoSQL will help you get through the concepts quicker, but it is not mandatory. No prior knowledge of MongoDB required.
- Paperback: 332 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849515026
- ISBN-13: 978-1849515023