Programming iOS 5, 2nd Edition
Get a solid grounding in the fundamentals of Cocoa Touch, and avoid problems during iPhone and iPad app development. With this revised and expanded edition, you’ll dig into Cocoa and learn how to work effectively with Objective-C and Xcode. This book covers iOS 5 and Xcode 4.3 in a rigorous, orderly fashion—ideal whether you’re approaching iOS for the first time or need a reference to bolster existing skills.
Many discussions have been expanded or improved. All code examples have been revised, and many new code examples have been added.
- The new memory management system—ARC—is thoroughly explained and all code examples have been revised to use it.
- New Objective-C features, such as declaration of instance variables in the class’s implementation section, are described and incorporated into the revised example code.
- Discussion of how an app launches, and all code examples, are revised for project templates from Xcode 4.2 and later.
- Other new Xcode features, including the Simulator’s Debug menu, are covered, with screen shots based on Xcode 4.2 and later.
- The discussion of Instruments is expanded, with screen shots—by popular request!
- Storyboards are explained and discussed.
- The explanation of view controllers is completely rewritten to include iOS 5 features, such as custom parent view controllers and UIPageViewController.
- The Controls chapter now includes iOS 5 interface customizability and the appearance proxy.
- New features of interface classes are discussed, including tiling and animated images, new table view features, new alert view styles.
- Coverage of frameworks such as Core Motion and AV Foundation is greatly expanded. New iOS 5 classes and frameworks are also discussed, including Core Image and UIDocument (and iCloud support).
- Important iOS 5 changes that can break existing code are explicitly called out in the text and listed in the index.
Table of Contents
Part I: Language
Chapter 1. Just Enough C
Chapter 2. Object-Based Programming
Chapter 3. Objective-C Objects and Messages
Chapter 4. Objective-C Classes
Chapter 5. Objective-C Instances
Part II: IDE
Chapter 6. Anatomy of an Xcode Project
Chapter 7. Nib Management
Chapter 8. Documentation
Chapter 9. Life Cycle of a Project
Part III: Cocoa
Chapter 10. Cocoa Classes
Chapter 11. Cocoa Events
Chapter 12. Accessors and Memory Management
Chapter 13. Data Communication
Part IV: Views
Chapter 14. Views
Chapter 15. Drawing
Chapter 16. Layers
Chapter 17. Animation
Chapter 18. Touches
Part V: Interface
Chapter 19. View Controllers
Chapter 20. Scroll Views
Chapter 21. Table Views
Chapter 22. Popovers and Split Views
Chapter 23. Text
Chapter 24. Web Views
Chapter 25. Controls and Other Views
Chapter 26. Modal Dialogs
Part VI: Some Frameworks
Chapter 27. Audio
Chapter 28. Video
Chapter 29. Music Library
Chapter 30. Photo Library and Image Capture
Chapter 31. Address Book
Chapter 32. Calendar
Chapter 33. Mail
Chapter 34. Maps
Chapter 35. Sensors
Part VII: Final Topics
Chapter 36. Persistent Storage
Chapter 37. Basic Networking
Chapter 38. Threads
Chapter 39. Undo
Chapter 40. Epilogue
- Paperback: 1016 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media; 2nd Edition (March 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1449319343
- ISBN-13: 978-1449319342