OpenVPN 2 Cookbook
OpenVPN is a free and open source virtual private network (VPN) program for creating point-to-point or server-to-multiclient encrypted tunnels between host computers. It is capable of establishing direct links between computers across networks and firewalls. It is powerful software, but getting the most from it can be a daunting task.
OpenVPN 2 Cookbook provides solutions to common OpenVPN problems. The book covers everything a system administrator needs to manage and run an OpenVPN network, from point to point networks to troubleshooting.
OpenVPN 2 Cookbook offers all the information you need to successfully manage your network. Covering all the common networks, including point to point networks, multi-client tun style networks and multi client tap style networks, this practical guide gives quick answers to common questions and problems.
Each technical aspect is broken down into short recipes that demonstrate solutions with working code, then explain why and how that works. The book is intended to be a desk reference for users with a whole range of experience levels.
What you will learn from this book
- Setting up point-to-point, routed as well as bridged VPNs
- Determining the best type of OpenVPN set up for your networking needs
- Configuring OpenVPN on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X
- Using scripting and plugins to optimize your VPN setup
- Troubleshooting your VPN setup
- Using advanced OpenVPN techniques, such as proxy support, compression, different encryption algorithms
- Setting up a public key infrastructure (PKI) for use with OpenVPN, including X509 certificates, certificate revocation lists and intermediary certificate authorities
- Integrating a hardware security token or smart card into your VPN setup
This is a cookbook, with practical recipes providing tips and tricks to the most common problems and scenarios faced with OpenVPN.
Who this book is for
This book is ideal for system administrators and networking professionals who are interested in building secure VPNs using OpenVPN. It is preferable that the reader has a basic knowledge of OpenVPN, as well as general network administration skills.
- Paperback: 356 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (February 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849510105
- ISBN-13: 978-1849510103