MongoDB and Python
Learn how to leverage MongoDB with your Python applications, using the hands-on recipes in this book. You get complete code samples for tasks such as making fast geo queries for location-based apps, efficiently indexing your user documents for social-graph lookups, and many other scenarios.
This guide explains the basics of the document-oriented database and shows you how to set up a Python environment with it. Learn how to read and write to MongoDB, apply idiomatic MongoDB and Python patterns, and use the database with several popular Python web frameworks. You’ll discover how to model your data, write effective queries, and avoid concurrency problems such as race conditions and deadlocks.
The recipes will help you:
- Read, write, count, and sort documents in a MongoDB collection
- Learn how to use the rich MongoDB query language
- Maintain data integrity in replicated/distributed MongoDB environments
- Use embedding to efficiently model your data without joins
- Code defensively to avoid keyerrors and other bugs
- Apply atomic operations to update game scores, billing systems, and more with the fast accounting pattern
- Use MongoDB with the Pylons 1.x, Django, and Pyramid web frameworks
About the Author
Niall O’Higgins is a software consultant specializing in mobile, tablet and cloud computing. His accomplishments include designing and implementing numerous mobile and web platforms using MongoDB, Python and Pylons/Django/Pyramid. Prior to starting his consulting business, he was a software engineer at Metaweb Technologies, where he worked on Freebase.com (now owned by Google). He is the founder and organizer of both the San Francisco Python Web Technology Meet-up, PyWebSF and the Bay Area Tablet Computing Group, We Have Tablets. He has published quite a bit of Open Source software – contributing to OpenBSD and Pyramid among others – and frequently speaks at conferences and events.
- Paperback: 68 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media (September 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1449310370
- ISBN-13: 978-1449310370