Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Scripting Cookbook
With the increased adoption of Dynamics CRM 2011, more people are faced with various tasks including administering and customizing the environment. Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a Customer Relationship Management software package from Microsoft. It offers solutions to help companies with Sales, Customer Services, and Marketing. Microsoft Dynamics CRM is increasingly being used by businesses of all kinds and all sizes to reach audiences in new ways. Microsoft Dynamics CRM scripting extends system customization through the use of client-side scripting. It builds on the standard customization options offered by Dynamics CRM.
“Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Scripting Cookbook” walks the reader through the process of customizing an environment, from the most basic topics such as working with specific fields and types, working with the forms, and then moves on to the more advanced topics of scripting and debugging your scripts, designing new form and ribbon elements, and using additional well known public scripting libraries, as well as integrating external data sources into your environment.
The first chapters of this book cover the basics of using the wizard-driven customization approach, packaging your customization into solutions, and adding basic scripts to interact with all the form elements. Further down the road we start introducing concepts around debugging your scripts, working with ribbon elements and navigation, taking advantage of other public scripting libraries and integrating them into your solutions, as well as light ways to bring social information in front of your users.
Later chapters will assume knowledge of some of the most basic customizations presented at the beginning of the book. After completing the recipes in “Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Scripting Cookbook”, you will have gained a new perspective on how far can you take the customization in Dynamics CRM. The additional details presented around using other public scripting libraries and integrating other data sources into your environment should serve as a start into investigating additional sources.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to work with the various field and data types in Dynamics CRM 2011
- Quickly get up to speed with packaging your solutions and adding customization scripts to a solution package
- Drill down and focus on page elements, and take advantage of the page model to insert additional visual elements
- Master the creation of custom scripts, as well as take advantage of public scripting libraries in the context of a Dynamics CRM 2011 solution
- Manipulate the ribbon and the user interface to present additional information and graphical clues to help users in identifying special records based on business rules
- Take advantage of other social aspects by bringing details from external sources in front of the user
- Extend the scripting customizations and simplify your scripts by using prebuilt scripting libraries that are publicly available
- Work with data within your environment and from external sources
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Scripting Cookbook is full of immediately useable recipes showing you how far you can take customization in Dynamics. While the book is structured so that each recipe can be tackled separately, for novice users it is recommended to follow through all the recipes in the order in which they are presented.
Who this book is for
This book is for those new to Dynamics CRM and for business analysts interested in gaining additional product specific knowledge. Stepping through the first chapters will introduce you to the customization process and give you enough knowledge to start looking into more advanced topics. Developers and web designers of another CRM product will see how their skills can be easily adapted to start customizing Dynamics CRM 2011.
You should be familiar with the basic concepts of what a CRM system is and does. Additional knowledge of the current or a previous version of Dynamics CRM will help, but is not necessary.
- Paperback: 268 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (March 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849688826
- ISBN-13: 978-1849688826