Mahara 1.4 Cookbook
Mahara is an e-portfolio system that allows you to build dynamic and engaging portfolios in no time. Use Mahara when applying for jobs, creating portfolios for certification and accreditation, for classroom projects, book reviews, to create your own social network and much more. This book will show you the many different ways in which you can use Mahara, and how to exploit the various components of Mahara.
The Mahara 1.4 Cookbook will introduce you to features you probably have not explored, and show you how to use them in ways you probably had not considered. The book also provides guidance in the use of Gimp, Picasa, Audacity, Word and other programs that can be used to create artifacts. It will provide you with techniques for creating everything from dynamic and engaging web pages to complete projects, interactive groups, educational templates, and professional resume packages.
By exploring the recipes in this book, you will learn how to use each of the various blocks and content areas including the resume sections, Journals, and plans. You will learn how to archive a portfolio, and set access levels. We will build an art gallery, a newspaper, use groups for collaboration and assessment, and use the Collections feature to build complex layered portfolios. You will also find recipes for building templates for standards-based report cards and teacher certification. The book is packed with ideas from the simple to the extremely advanced, but each idea is supported with step-by-step instructions that will make all of them seem easy.
From promotion and tenure packages, to photo galleries, to project templates; learn to use Mahara in ways you’ve never dreamed of
What you will learn from this book :
- Customize a large number of views and apply them to your projects
- Use Mahara and Moodle together to share resources and training materials
- Use nested collections to build an extensive portfolio for Promotion and Tenure
- Build standards-based templates for report cards or teacher certification
- Embed images and sound clips to create an art gallery with an audio guided tour
- Use textboxes and some HTML coding to enhance portfolio design
- Learn formatting tips and techniques including adding banners, and methods for building various forms of navigation
- Learn how to embed components from outside Mahara including RSS Feeds, VoiceThreads, and more
- Learn how multiple student blogs can be used to create a group newspaper
- Construct a complete resume package, including cover letter, that can be easily and rapidly customized for multiple employers
- Create an illustrated book that can later become part of a large portfolio view
- Use Mahara to create a College Application portfolio
Part of Packt’s cookbook series, this book offers learning and techniques through recipes. It contains step-by-step instructions for Mahara users of all kinds. It is designed in such a way that you can refer to recipes chapter by chapter, or read them in no particular order.
Who this book is written for
Whether you are a student, an instructor, an administrator, or simply someone who would like to build your own portfolio, this book is for you. The range of recipes is wide, because Mahara’s features can support portfolio development and use, regardless of level or purpose. This book requires only a very basic knowledge of Mahara.
- Paperback: 308 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (September 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849515069
- ISBN-13: 978-1849515061