Java EE 6 with GlassFish 3 Application Server
GlassFish is a free, open source, production ready application server. It is the environment’s reference implementation and the first Enterprise Java server to implement Java EE6. Although GlassFish server delivers a flexible, lightweight and extensible Java EE 6 platform, it can be challenging to get beyond the basics and develop Java applications deployed to GlassFish 3 application server.
This book takes an in-depth look at all of the major new features in Glassfish 3 and how it differs from previous Glassfish versions. This book explains GlassFish installation and configuration, and then moves on to Java EE 6 application development, covering all major Java EE 6 APIs. It is a handy guide for the advanced Java programmers as well as Java EE 6 beginners.
This book begins with the installation of Glassfish 3 and deploying Java applications. It also explains how to develop, configure, package and deploy servlets. We will also learn the processing of HTML Forms. As we move on, we will develop Java Server Pages and get to know implicit JSP objects. We will get to know all the JSTL (JSP Standard Tag Library) tag libraries. This book gives us a better understanding on how to manage data from a database through Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) API and the Java Persistence API (JPA). We will also learn more about the newly introduced features of JPA 2.0 and develop JSF 2.0 applications learn how to customize them. We then set up Glassfish for Java Messaging (JMS) API and understand the working of message queues and message topics. Later, we use the Context and Dependency Injection (CDI) API to integrate application layers and study the SOAP based web service development using the JAX-WS specification. Finally, we learn more about the Restful web service development using the JAX-RS specification.
The book covers the various Java EE 6 conventions and annotations that can simplify enterprise Java application development. The latest versions of the Servlet, JSF, JPA, EJB and JAX-WS specifications are covered, as well as new additions to the specification such as JAX-RS and CDI.
This book is a Developer’s Guide, covering the ins and outs of developing Java EE 6 applications deployed to the standards-compliant, high performance GlassFish 3 application server
What you will learn from this book
- Install Glassfish and deploy Java EE applications
- Develop, configure, package and deploy servlets
- Learn the processing of HTML Forms
- Develop Java Server Pages and get to know implicit JSP objects
- Get to know all the JSTL (JSP Standard Tag Library) tag libraries
- Manage data from a database through Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) API and the Java Persistence API (JPA)
- Learn more about the newly introduced features of JPA 2.0
- Develop JSF 2.0 applications learn how to customize them
- Set up Glassfish for Java Messaging (JMS) API and understand the working of message queues and message topics
- Use the Context and Dependency Injection (CDI) API to integrate application layers
- Study the SOAP based web service development using the JAX-WS specification
- Learn more about the Restful web service development using the JAX-RS specification
This book is a practical guide with a very user-friendly approach. It aims to speed up the reader in Java EE 6 development. All major Java EE 6 APIs and the details of the GlassFish 3 server are covered followed by examples of its use.
Who this book is written for
If you are a Java developer and wish to become proficient with Java EE 6, then this book is for you. You are expected to have some experience with Java and to have developed and deployed applications in the past, but need no previous knowledge of Java EE or J2EE. You will also learn how to use GlassFish 3 to develop and deploy applications.
- Paperback: 488 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (July, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849510369
- ISBN-13: 978-1849510363