iPhone Location Aware Apps by Example: Beginners Guide
From weather apps which give you a forecast based on your current location to fitness apps which track your speed and distance travelled. From Google Maps to Foursquare. Increasing mobility and social networking has made location awareness an integral aspect of modern iPhone applications.
This book will teach you everything you need to know about building iPhone location aware apps, from simple Google maps to complex region monitoring and augmented reality. Build five real world location aware apps and get a taste of HTML5-based mobile app development.
The book begins by explaining behind-the-scenes working of location-based systems, including GPS. Explore in depth iOS Core Location and the MapKit Framework, using examples depicting each capability of the respective frameworks. Having learnt about location and maps, you will build five location-based apps using the APIs and SDKs publicly available. The book has everything for a beginner as well as advanced users, with chapters devoted to advanced topics such as push notifications, geo fencing and augmented reality.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn everything about Location Based Services from concept to implementation in the real world.
- Build your own Foursquare type app using the Foursquare API.
- Discover Core Location and different techniques of location detection.
- Explore the MapKit and 3rd Party Maps API with OpenStreetMaps
- Build your own weather app, with Text to Speech.
- Build your own events App, with EventKit and augmented reality.
- Create a location based news App using AOL Patch News API
- Create a social governance app from scratch.
Using a By example approach you will master the essentials of location awareness and augmented reality by building five complete apps using easy to follow step by step instructions geared towards newcomers.
Who this book is for
Novice to professional level iOS programmers who want to master location awareness and augmented reality. Build five practical location-based iOS Apps from scratch, a first for any book, converting learning into actual implementation.
- Paperback: 386 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (March 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849692246
- ISBN-13: 978-1849692243