IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio Cookbook, 2nd Edition
IBM Cognos Report Studio is widely used for creating and managing business reports in medium to large companies. It is simple enough for any business analyst, power user, or developer to pick up and start developing basic reports. However, this book is designed to take the reader beyond the basics and into the world of creating more sophisticated, functional business reports.
IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio Cookbook, Second Edition helps you understand and use all the features provided by Report Studio to generate impressive deliverables. It will take you from being a beginner to a professional report author. It bridges the gap between basic training provided by manuals or trainers and the practical techniques learned over years of practice.
Written in a recipe style, this book offers step-by-step instructions for IBM Cognos Report Studio users to author reports effectively, allowing a reader to dip in and out of the chapters as they desire.
You will see a new fictional business case in each recipe that will relate to a real-life problem and then you will learn how to crack it in Report Studio.
This book covers all the basic and advanced features of Report Authoring. It introduces the fundamental features useful across any level of reporting. Then it ascends to advanced techniques and tricks to overcome Studio limitations. Develop excellent reports using dimensional data sources by following best practices that development work requires in Report Studio. You will also learn about editing the report outside the Studio by directly editing the XML specifications. You will discover how to build and use Cognos Active Reports, a new addition in IBM Cognos 10.
Learn numerous techniques and hacks that will allow you to make the best out of your IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn basic and advanced options around sorting, filtering, and aggregation of data
- Explore the powerful features of Report Studio—Conditional Formatting, Cascaded Prompts, Master-Detailed queries, and more
- Learn how to build and use Active Reports
- Achieve real business demands such as dynamic drill-though links, showing tooltips, minimum column width, prompt manipulation, and merged cells
- Learn to edit reports outside Report Studio using XML editing
- Develop sophisticated printer friendly reports
- Introduce best practices such as inserting comments, regression testing, and version controlling in your reports
- Enhance the features of Report Studio by using macros and Work with dimensional models (DMRs and Cubes)
This Cookbook contains step-by-step instructions for Report Studio 10 users to author effective reports. The book is designed in a way that you can refer to it chapter by chapter, look at the list of recipes and read them in no particular order.
Who this book is for
The Cognos 10 Report Studio Cookbook is for you if you are a Business Intelligence Developer who is working on IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio and wants to author impressive reports by putting to use what this tool has to offer. It is also ideal you are a Business Analyst or Power User who authors his own reports and wants to look beyond the conventional features of IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio.
This book assumes that you are familiar with the architecture of IBM Cognos 10. You should also have basic knowledge of IBM Cognos Report Studio and can do the basic report authoring tasks.
- Paperback: 364 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing; 2nd Edition (August 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849688206
- ISBN-13: 978-1849688208