Getting Started with Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6
Organizations often spend more money than they should on maintaining applications and the operating system life cycles. Supporting end-users’ problems as well as maintaining different operating system baselines can also get really expensive. Microsoft App-V saves resources and increases productivity by virtualizing applications and providing centralized management for your organization’s application infrastructure. However, application virtualization is not as simple as it sounds and can require expert guidance for successful implementations in an organization.
With this book in hand, you will learn how to easily implement a centralized management for your applications with Microsoft App-V. It provides all the necessary guidance for preparing your App-V environment, as well as sequencing (capturing) and delivering simple and complex applications. It will demonstrate how you can save a lot of time and effort by eliminating the common issues faced in application deployment and maintenance.
This Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 Implementation Guide will show you, in a step-by-step manner, how to set up the environment for installing your company’s applications, defining all the requirements and configurations one time only, and then delivering the same baseline to all the users you want. Microsoft App-V removes the constraints we usually have with applications, their dependencies and the issues involved, providing a centralized management of those applications. With this book, you will first review the basics of App-V architecture and the components involved and then start working directly with the platform by installing the App-V server and client components. As the book progresses, you will learn to sequence and publish simple as well as complex applications. Using this guide, applications’ transitions, such as moving up from Microsoft Office 2007 to Office 2010, can be achieved transparently for all users. It will also guide you through advanced topics such as integrating App-V with Microsoft’s Configuration Manager, securing communications, and publishing applications through Remote Desktop Services.
By the end of this book, you will be geared up to plan and implement the virtualization of your application infrastructure with Microsoft App-V.
A complete guide for optimization and agility within the application delivery process using Microsoft App-V
What you will learn from this book
- Understand App-V components and its architecture.
- Explore the new and important features of App-V 4.6
- Set up App-V Management and Streaming Servers to facilitate the centralized management of applications.
- Install App-V Sequencer, Desktop Client, and Terminal Services Client to set up the entire environment for application virtualization deployment
- Prepare and configure different models and implementations of App-V.
- Sequence and publish simple applications, as well as highly complex applications such as Microsoft Office 2010.
- Understand and implement Dynamic Suite Composition (DSC) for interconnected virtual applications.
- Integrate App-V with System Center Configuration Manager to optimize the infrastructure.
- Secure the App-V Environment to ensure safe communication between the server and the clients.
- Install and configure App-V for Remote Desktop Services to simplify application deployment
A practical tutorial containing clear, step-by-step explanations of all the concepts required to understand the technology involved in virtualizing your application infrastructure. By taking the reader through relevant real world examples that can be put into practice immediately, this book provides an easy way to plan and design the implementation. Each topic is written defining a common need and developing the process to solve it using Microsoft App-V.
Who this book is written for
This book is written for IT professionals and IT decision makers who want to explore the benefits of implementing and maintaining virtual applications. If you are a system administrator or a consultant who wants to implement and administer App-V, then this book is for you. The detailed steps provided for applying App-V in your organization will work as an easy guide for IT professionals in charge of the operations. It will also meet the expectations of readers who are looking for a simple way of handling their infrastructure and who want to reduce the costs of help desk supports issues.
- Paperback: 308 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (January, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849681260
- ISBN-13: 978-1849681261