Getting Started with Unity
Unity is a game development engine which is fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows used to create interactive 3D content. Unity is best used for making great games that can deploy to numerous platforms.
In this book, you will be introduced to a wide range of the core features used for games developed with Unity3D, including the user interface and much more. Furthermore, you will also learn about essential aspects like transformations, scripting, navigation, and built-in controllers.
Beginning with an introduction to the user interface, you will learn the necessary skills required to create a survival video game. Each section is a stepping-stone toward the completion of the final game. By the end of the book, you will have created an indoor level with enemies, AI, weapons, objects to collect, and all the logic to control the game.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the different layouts, windows, and shortcuts, and navigate through scenes
- Use, combine, and transform built-in objects and components including textures, water, GUI elements, controllers, lights, particles, and shapes
- Understand different types of colliders, individualize objects with tags, apply colliders, and manage collisions through scripting
- Learn how to create scripts, understand and use the default functions, and employ the console for debugging purposes
- Access and modify game objects’ properties through scripting
- Create functions, pass and access variables, and call functions between scripts
- Implement basic AI for path-finding or user detection
- Load scenes, navigate through scenes, and create persistent objects across scenes
Getting Started with Unity is written in an easy-to-follow tutorial format.
Who this book is written for
“Getting Started with Unity” is for 3D game developers who would like to learn how to use Unity3D and become familiar with its core features. This book is also suitable for intermediate users who would like to improve their skills. No prior knowledge of Unity3D is required.
- Paperback: 170 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (August 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849695849
- ISBN-13: 978-1849695848