Cocoa and Objective-C Cookbook
Much of Cocoa is implemented in Objective-C, an object-oriented language that is designed to run at high speed. In order to build powerful Cocoa applications you need more than the basics. This cookbook will provide you with the recipes needed to add Core Animation, gestures, Key Value Coding, and QuickTime to your appilications.
The Cocoa and Objective-C Cookbook moves developers beyond the basics of developing with Apple’s Cocoa framework. It will help you grasp advanced topics needed to build polished Cocoa applications on Mac OS X.
The cookbook provides a comprehensive overview of Cocoa’s more popular UI components found in all Mac OS X applications. It has recipes for building custom views, adding support for gestures and working with keyboard and mouse events. There are recipes for using singleton, delegation, and factory design patterns in your own application’s architecture. Alongside essential recipes for working with databases and debugging you will also find fun recipes covering animation and multimedia. The Cocoa and Objective-C Cookbook will quickly bring you up to speed with advanced technologies used to build complex applications for Mac OS X.
What you will learn from this book :
- Use Core Animation to swap and flip views
- Handle the pinch, swipe, and rotate gestures in your custom views
- Safely store and retrieve passwords using the Keychain Access API
- Understand the CA Layers to add smooth animations to your application’s user interface
- Add audio and QuickTime movies into your application
- Incorporate MySQL and SQLite into your application to store and retrieve data
- Use advanced debugging techniques and tools
- Build the foundation of your application using basic UI components such as the table view, outline view, and web view
Written in a cookbook style, this book offers solutions using a recipe-based approach. Each recipe contains step-by-step instructions followed by an analysis of what was done in each task and other useful information. The cookbook approach means you can dive into whatever recipes you want in no particular order.
Who this book is written for
This book is perfect for the Mac OS X Cocoa developer who is ready to move beyond the basics and dive into more advanced Cocoa topics. The cookbook format lets you jump right into the examples without the lengthy explanations you often find in other books. Basic familiarity with Cocoa and Objective-C development is required.
- Paperback: 248 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (May 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849690383
- ISBN-13: 978-1849690386