Beyond Auto Mode
Take full advantage of your dSLR camera, and do it with confidence
Many people buy dSLR cameras for their flexibility, but find themselves so intimidated by all the options and controls that they rarely venture beyond the automatic mode. With a friendly tone and clear, understandable instruction, photographer and educator Jen Bebb introduces you to every mode and setting on your sophisticated dSLR. After thoroughly explaining shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, ISO, and basic composition, she offers direction on what each camera mode does and when it should be used. You’ll gain the confidence to use the entire feature set you paid for.
- Beginning dSLR users are often intimidated by the scene, semi-automatic, and fully manual modes on their cameras; this guide gently explains each mode and setting
- Uses a conversational tone and liberal examples to define and explain basic concepts including shutter speed, aperture, ISO, depth of field, and composition
- Covers how each camera mode works and when to consider using it
- Helps those new to dSLR photography to gain confidence and begin taking advantage of all the flexibility a dSLR offers
Written by a professional photographer who is also known for her skill as an instructor, Beyond Auto Mode encourages new and less experienced dSLR users to take the next step toward creative control.
From the Back Cover
Take charge of your image
You can do it
Part art and part science, photography records and preserves the moments of our lives. Sure, you can snap a picture with your smartphone. But if you want to create a truly memorable portrait of a moment, you must master lighting, exposure, and focus. When you control what makes the photo, you — not the camera — control the results.
Enter the exhilarating world beyond auto mode, and feel the power of crafting the total image.
- Master the exposure triangle: ISO, aperture, and shutter speed
- Experiment with settings to learn what they do
- Practice with semi-automatic modes
- See how different types of light affect your image
- Understand exactly what you can control and what the camera controls
- Explore settings for portraits, landscapes, and other common shots
- Learn to create the perfect image in the camera, instead of fixing a mediocre image with Photoshop
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Wiley (February 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118172876
- ISBN-13: 978-1118172872