Beginning T-SQL 2012, 2nd Edition
Beginning T-SQL 2012 is the first step toward learning the T-SQL language that underlies Microsoft’s SQL Server database engine. T-SQL is essential in writing SQL statements to get data into and out of a database. T-SQL is the foundation for business logic embedded in the database in the form of stored procedures and functions. Beginning T-SQL 2012 starts you on the path to mastering T-SQL, with an emphasis on best practices and sound coding techniques.
Beginning T-SQL 2012 begins with an introduction to databases, normalization, and to SQL Server Management Studio. Each subsequent chapter teaches an aspect of T-SQL, building on the skills learned in previous chapters. Exercises in each chapter give readers an opportunity for the hands-on practice that leads to true learning and distinguishes the competent professional.
- Imparts best practices for writing T-SQL
- Helps you avoid common errors
- Shows how to write scalable code for good performance
What you’ll learn
- The fundamentals of relational theory, upon which Transact-SQL is based
- How to write accurate queries that are scalable and perform well
- How to combine set-based and procedural processing, obtaining the best from both worlds
- How to embed business logic in your database through stored procedures and functions
- How to simplify your work with new and advanced features, such as common table expressions and virtual tables
- How to enhance performance by knowing when to apply features such table value parameters, and when not to
Who this book is for
Beginning T-SQL 2012 is for developers and database administrators who will be writing database applications against SQL Server databases.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Writing Simple SELECT Queries
- Using Functions and Expressions
- Querying Multiple Tables
- Grouping and Summarizing Data
- Manipulating Data
- Understanding T-SQL Programming Logic
- Working with XML
- Moving Logic to the Database
- Working with Data Types
- Writing Advanced Queries
- Where to Go Next?
- Paperback: 456 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 2nd Edition (July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 143023704X
- ISBN-13: 978-1430237044