Android Game Programming For Dummies
Learn how to create great games for Android phones
Android phones are rapidly gaining market share, nudging the iPhone out of the top spot. Games are the most frequently downloaded apps in the Android market, and users are willing to pay for them. Game programming can be challenging, but this step-by-step guide explains the process in easily understood terms. A companion Web site offers all the programming examples for download.
- Presents tricky game programming topics–animation, battery conservation, touch screen input, and adaptive interface issues–in the straightforward, easy-to-follow For Dummies fashion
- Explains how to avoid pitfalls and create fun games based on best programming practices for mobile devices
- A companion web site includes all programming examples
If you have some programming knowledge, Android Game Programming For Dummies will have you creating cool games for the Android platform quickly and easily.
From the Back Cover
Get your head in the game and start developing engaging Android apps that game gurus will love!
Games challenge our minds, relieve our boredom, bring us closer to family and friends, and are just plain fun. It’s no wonder developers are geared up to get going on the next great game. It’s easy to join in the fun with For Dummies! A bit of Java knowledge is helpful, but even if you lack that, this book will walk you through creating two Android games and getting them into Google Play. Once you’ve got the basics down, let your imagination lead the way!
- Understand Android — learn about the capabilities of the Android platform and why it’s suited for mobile gaming
- Plan your game — decide on the game type, the number of players, how and when users might play, and who would be most interested in your app
- Get started — set up your development environment and explore the parts of an Android app
- Learn variety — follow step-by-step directions to create a two-player card game and an arcade-style game with sound and animation
- Market your creations — explore the market for your game, publish it to Google Play, and keep it up to date
Open the book and find:
- What you should know about the Android gaming industry
- Project planning tips
- How to identify the market for your game
- The ins and outs of good interface design
- The lifecycle of an activity
- Advice on screen orientation
- How to create simple animations
- How to monetize your game and turn a profit
- Develop fun and interactive games for Android-based smartphones
- Apply fundamental game design principles to create realistic animation
- Make use of Android’s rich feature set in your games
- Publish your game, keep it current, and make some money
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies (December 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118027744
- ISBN-13: 978-1118027745